Spatchcocked Hot Smoky BBQ Chicken
Juicy, flavorful and evenly cooked every time—the perfect meal for your (stay-at-home) Memorial Day Celebration.
|1||3-4 lb Shenks Whole Chicken|
|1/2 pt||Rooster Street Hot Smoky BBQ Sauce|
|1/4 cup||Seasons Family Reserve Olive Oil|
|1||Medium onion, peeled and cut in half|
|1||Large garlic clove|
|2 tsp||Kosher Salt|
|1/2 tsp||Herb Shop Ground Black Pepper|
- Spatchcock the chicken: Using strong kitchen shears, cut along each side of the backbone of the chicken and remove it. Flip the bird breast side up and with the palm of your hand, press down on the breast until flattened.
- Puree onion, garlic, and oil in a food processor. Rub some puree under the skin of chicken breast. Rub remaining puree over the rest of the bird. Refrigerate at least 6 hours.
- Let chicken stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Wipe off remaining puree, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Coat chicken with 1/4 cup BBQ sauce. Set aside an additional 1/4 cup for brushing the chicken and reserve the rest of the sauce for serving
- Heat grill to medium-high, or set up for indirect heat. Grill chicken, breast side down, covered with vent open, until nicely charred, 10 to 15 minutes. Flip; cook 30 minutes more. Flip again; Apply remaining ½ cup bbq sauce and grill until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees in thickest part of breast.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving